I’m a Striking Mum!

I have set up an online support groups for mums to help us all make positive changes in our lives. It is time to seize the day, take baby steps if that is what we can manage and change our lives.

So what about me? What do I need to change?

1. We have had a bumpy ride over the last 16 months with my husband losing two jobs, a long period of unemployment and a big relocation from North to South. My son is missing his friends back home. My daughter did not settle in her new school. I think my husband’s ego has been very damaged by recent events too. As a family, we are feeling a bit battered and bruised I think. I know people have much bigger problems to confront but this is my space to say how I am feeling. I would really welcome a period where we don’t get hit by major hassles. I need to work on my marriage and my parenting but I also need to build myself back up again in order to do these things.

2. I don’t get out enough during the week which results in me being very isolated. This is going to change because once my son goes back to school, I am going to be out and about with my little girl. I could do with somebody to tweet me every day to ask if I have gone out of the door yet. It always makes me feel so much better.

3. I have a poor self-image. Weight has a lot to do with this as over the years I have come to terms with mad hair and vaguely weird looks. I have given up booze and I am cutting out red meat. I am going to eat more healthily and take more exercise. Again, I think having the company of my daughter will help with this.

4. I am going to spend less time watching the television. I think it can suck your energy away and is too easy to use as stimulation when you are stuck in the house.

Having said all this, I have made huge strides in recent years and I think have just got a bit off track after losing my Dad, the redundancies and the house move. I am angry at myself for that but maybe I need to ease up on myself and allow me to be human too.

So yes, dear reader, I need Striking Mums too and look forward to reporting back as to how I get on.

As I look back on this post, I am heartened to see that although the changes are major, there are very few of them to sort out. The future is bright!

1. Jen Walshaw September 3, 2014 / 5:26 pm

Good luck with this. I find that getting out makes a huge difference to me. Having Alvin (the dog) means I get out and have a walk, even a small one.

I am so sorry to hear your lovely daughter didn’t settle and hope you have better luck. I am feeling all back to school. I think September is a great time for new resolutions, rather than the new year!
    Jen Walshaw recently posted…Back to School 2014My Profile

2. Galina V September 3, 2014 / 5:37 pm

Moving home is always a big dramatic change, especially if you move far. It takes time to settle and acquire new friends. With self-image, I think most of us find faults with our own appearances, and maybe we should be more accepting and tolerant of ourselves. Hugs!
    Galina V recently posted…The Summer of Our ContentMy Profile

3. Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One September 3, 2014 / 6:43 pm

Bless you, I can totally relate to how you’ve been feeling. When I was with my ex-husband, he got made redundant 3 times in just over a year, after having had one job for years. We lost our very best friend in a road accident right in the middle of it, I ended up on anti-depressants and life was generally rubbish. It takes time, but you will see the light at the end of the tunnel x
    Mary @ Over 40 and a Mum to One recently posted…The Alphabet Photography Project Q is for Quiet #alphabetphotoMy Profile

4. Penny A residence September 3, 2014 / 7:54 pm

I think bereavements can hit hard just when you think you are ok, especially when you have had to focus on lots of other upheavals, thinking of you and always here. Striking Mums sounds good to me!
    Penny A residence recently posted…Eight surprisingly simple photography tipsMy Profile

5. Shell Louise September 4, 2014 / 5:26 pm

I don’t get out enough either and I’m aiming to change that as well. It’s been even worse the past 2 weeks because I’ve had a bad back so I’ve been even less mobile than usual and I’ve found that not getting out, even for just a walk to the shops makes me feel down and lifeless.
    I hope things are starting to get easier for you. Good luck with making those changes 🙂 xx
    Shell Louise recently posted…Slimming World Weekly UpdateMy Profile

6. sarah christie September 6, 2014 / 9:17 am

I moved from The South to the North at 15 it was hard, but I am so glad I did now, I hope your Son adapts like I did. If you feel like that have you tried Slimming world, I have loved following the plan it is so easy. I have several friends who have followed it to and all lost weight one friend 2 stone up to now. And the image therapy is amazing for confidence building as everyone understands how you feel. The first meeting is the worst but once that is over its great. I stopped going but still follow the plan but my friends all still go to the meetings and swear by them, and ps I still have a glass of wine at night xx
    sarah christie recently posted…Amazing Air-miles are Taking us To Miami.My Profile

7. Sara (@mumturnedmom) September 9, 2014 / 2:30 am

I think getting out is absolutely key. When we moved to the US it would have been very easy for me to become isolated but I MADE myself get out every day (apart from the school run!) and made myself go to see/do things. It made such a difference. Lots of luck, I think Striking Mums is a wonderful idea xx
    Sara (@mumturnedmom) recently posted…The Prompt: Week 34My Profile

8. Jeannette @autismmumma September 16, 2014 / 7:34 pm

I could identify with so much with why you’ve set up Striking Mums, when there’s been so much change or stress, sometimes it helps to take a step back and just reevaluate.
    Thanks for linking this up with #wellbeingwednesday 🙂