Treating nosebleeds in the family

Treating nosebleeds is something most parents have had to do at some point. Do you now what to do if your child has a nosebleed?

treating nosebleeds

I find my daughter is prone to nosebleeds. She used to have the odd idea that they came every Halloween! My sons don’t have  them often at all. In fact my 11 year old had one this morning and it took him totally by surprise.

I remember the first time my daughter has a nosebleed my husband said she should tip her head back and  I disagreed drawing on some distant memory of my first aid training at Brownies.

So here is what you should do when you are treating a nosebleed.

If your child is under 2 year of age, seek medical advice immediately as this is rare and may suggest something serious.

Encourage your child to sit down and firmly pinch the soft part of their nose just above the nostrils.

Don’t rush it – they should do this for at least 10 minutes.

I was right. Your little one should lean forward and breathe through their mouth so the blood does not go down the back of their throat.

You could place an ice park (or pack of frozen peas or veg of your choice!) on the bridge of their nose covered by a towel.

Staying sitting up discourages further bleeding.

One of the most vital things you can do for your child is not to panic. As in any situation  if you act confidently they feel safe and secure.

If the bleeding does not stop are your child has recurrent nosebleeds, seek medical advice.

Once your child has stopped bleeding, recovery and prevention of infection is helped by:

1. Not blowing or picking their nose
  2. Not engaging in any major exercise.
  3. Avoiding hot drinks for 24 hours
  4. Avoiding  anyone with coughs or colds

For help on any health matters, check out NHS Choices.

What is your experience of treating nosebleeds in the family?

This post is brought to you by the ex-pert mum by no means an expert but definitely ex-pert.

You Baby Me Mummy

1. Hilary Cooper January 4, 2017 / 6:56 pm

Hi Kate. How funny to read this when I’ve just taken my daughter to the doctor with recurring nosebleeds. She’s always had them but now, at 15, they are still happening with alarming regularity and she seems to also have permanent irritation of the nasal passages – she’s streaming with mucus in between bleeds, so we’re wondering if she’s allergic to something. Certainly they can be quite debilitating and distressing if they go on for a while and keep happening. She’s been referred to an ENT specialist so I’m interested to see what they come up with.

• Kate Davis-Holmes January 6, 2017 / 5:34 pm

All the best to your daughter Hilary and thanks so much for reading and commenting.

• Kate Davis-Holmes January 6, 2017 / 5:30 pm

All parents should be taught how to keep calm in an emergency as let’s face it plenty head our way over the years. Thanks so much for your comment.

2. Catie: An Imperfect Mum January 6, 2017 / 9:31 am

Thank you for sharing this – one of the kids in my class had a really bad nose bleed just before christmas and it can be quite scary for them and you! Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime

• Kate Davis-Holmes January 6, 2017 / 5:29 pm

It amazes me how many people think that you have to tip your head back and the bit about under 2s is not well-known at all. Thanks for your comment Catie.

3. Sarah January 6, 2017 / 6:45 pm

Good tips. My 5 year old suffers from nosebleeds, she’ll go for weeks without any but then have them a few times in a week. #thelist

• Kate Davis-Holmes January 6, 2017 / 9:29 pm

Very like my daughter was but she seems to have grown out of them, All the best to your daughter going forwards and thanks for commenting.

4. Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) January 10, 2017 / 9:53 pm

This is so useful to know. My 5 year old has had nosebleeds a couple of times although thankfully they’ve been short-lived. I used to suffer from recurrent nosebleeds as a child so it was something I was prepared for – although I have to admit, I went with what seemed the right approach rather than actually finding out what I should do. Good to know that my instincts were along the right lines!
    Louise (Little Hearts, Big Love) recently posted…To Sophie on her first day at preschoolMy Profile

5. Emma T January 12, 2017 / 11:06 pm

Handy hints post for those who don’t know how to help in the case of nosebleeds.

I used to have a few as a child, and it seems N has followed on from me. He’s had a few. A couple at school, and a couple at night – which is always horrendous on waking the next morning with all the blood! #thelist