Getting Into The Groove

Do you want to change your life for the better?

Here’s how my journey towards a more positive future is going.

1. Healthy Eating/Weight Loss – Isn’t it amazing how long the festive food hangs about? Anyway, ours is finally gone and I am back on my healthy eating plan. Soup is proving a real ally and yes Weightwatchers branded products too.

2. Exercise – I did go for a country walk this week but I really do need to get into a proper routine to ensure I take good exercise every day. I would love to be one of those mums who runs but wonder how you get that process started in the first place. Where do you do it? Do you feel a right fool? All advice gratefully received on this one. There is a boxercise class in my local town which I am really tempted to attend. However, then those self-doubts get in the way. Go away, you nasty monster. I am trying to get my groove back. I do find it hard to motivate myself on the exercise front. Any tips?

3. I bought some books at the charity shop yesterday as there was a 3 books for the price of two offer on. I got the Goddess Guide, a Driving Skills book and a book on how to have financial success. I think this shows that I am definitely keen to get that va-va voom back or perhaps to invent it for the very first time.

4. The Groovy Mums initiative which I established way back in September 2011 is featured today on the Netmums blog. Fame at last? I am hoping it leads to some new contributors to the Groovy Mums crew.
There is a page that tells you all about “How To Be A Groovy Mum” on this site so check it out.

5. I have made some requests (demands) for changed behaviours from Him Indoors. I am already seeing very positive results. Maybe sometimes it is just as simple as saying what you need and want.

6. I just have a sense and can’t say too much on some matters that the universe if finally catching up and pushing me in the right direction. Could it be that when you start to expect good things they do actually happen? What do you reckon? Got to be worth a try?

7. I have done some positive work on my novel. It felt really good to do so and I have a very good reason for making progress with it and fast.

This week, a bullying incident at school really rocked my equilibrium for a while leading to comfort eating and self-loathing rearing their very rotten heads. My son brought home a leaflet on bullying and I now recognise what I can do to help the children and also how it is normal for such events to bring up feelings from my own experiences of being bullied. That gives me strength. Plus I am so proud of my son for picking up the leaflet and bringing it to my attention.

How’s that for an OK start to 2012?

1. chickenruby January 11, 2012 / 12:53 pm

walk out your front door, dressed casually and wearing trainers, as you round the corner break into a little jog, find a park bench, recover breath and get the bus home…that’s how i run…lol

2. catherine January 11, 2012 / 1:12 pm

sounds great, you will love the godess guide i enjoyed it.i just finished the martin lewis money diet that is a great book also picked up at charity shop. Martin lewis’s website is really worth signing up for as weekly useful emails are fab have saved us a fortune xx Super nanny and martin lewis are my heros this week x

• minibreakmummy January 11, 2012 / 3:14 pm

One thing I found in the Martin Lewis e-mail today is that you can sign up for a free pedometer at the Tesco Magazine website http://www.tescomagazine.com/competitions/get-your-free-pedometer.html
      I was lent a pedometer for 5 weeks last summer and it had a really positive impact on how much walking I did and my percentage body fat decreased too (various measurements were taken at the beginning and end of the 5 week period) – so I’ve carried on doing lots of walking even without the pedometer

3. PollyBurns2 January 11, 2012 / 4:54 pm

You are really getting on with things! For all my great ideas, I seem to have stalled at the first hurdle. I saw the Netmums post, great to spread the word. Glad things are more settled at home now. I do think that you are right, if you look for good things you will find them. Sometimes just picking your head up can be the hardest thing. Sounds like the universe is unfolding for you as it should and in the manner you want it to. 🙂

4. Glasgow Mummy January 11, 2012 / 5:52 pm

I had only run once before, years ago and it was a disaster (I got lost!) but now I can comfortably-ish run a 10K. I started by walking, lots of walking. Then brisk walking and then that turned to slow jogging just for short distances and now I’ve built up the distance. The running club that I’m a member of has improved my running loads… Yes, I feel rather stupid and I’m sure I look stupid whilst I’m running but I’m more confident now than I was at the start. Some new running gear helped me too…I felt better when I looked the part! Previously I’d been in scabby joggers & a t-shirt but now I’m in proper leggings & running jumper.

5. Mummy Plum January 11, 2012 / 6:19 pm

Sounds like a great start to 2012. On the exercise front, I agree with Glasgow Mummy on walking, then brisk walking. Or even scouts pace ie, 20 steps and then 20 running steps. What about signing up for something like a 5K run in the spring to motivate yourself? Very impressed that you made a start on your novel – the hardest thing is turning the aspiration into action/ words on the page. Great discipline!

6. Jan Hatchett January 11, 2012 / 9:26 pm

Hi! I just found your blog through the Living Well Wednesday meme. I enjoyed reading your post. I am just starting back with walking and I feel like a total dork lumbering my way around, but, then again, who cares what others think?

7. HJ January 12, 2012 / 7:42 am

What a positive start to 2012 (except the problems with your boy and the school). I haven’t been brave enough to start a blog but I have made some positive changes inspired by you and your fellow bloggers. I have started writing a diary, taking part in some of the challenges and have found that a positive attitude in me is already having a positive impact on those around me. I guess its a mixture of karma and the fact that as I am focused on the positive the negative passes me by. Heres hoping that 2012 continues on this vein.

8. mrsshortie January 13, 2012 / 1:36 pm

I think you’ve had a great start to 2012 (except the bullying!), I’m also eating lots and lots and lots of soup! Its tinned, but not many calories and once I’ve eaten it I can’t go back for more like sandwiches. Can’t help on the running front, but I use exercise DVD’s as I can’t bring myself to go to a class. Hope this is a good week for you. X