Boating in Norfolk gave us our happiest family break ever. We had never had a boating holiday before but we can’t wait to get back on board.
We arrived at Potter Heigham to collect our boat with its glorious name Tranquil Light. There was a real community feel to the place with a good amount of nautical fashion on show. My youngest son and Him Indoors were dispatched to check us in. Louis arrived back at the car with a huge smile on his face telling us excitedly that the boat was gigantic.
Our boat was perfect for our family with 3 bedrooms all with their own loo facilities. Louis bagged himself the master bedroom straightaway and we went with that. There was a comfortable lounge area and a spacious and brilliantly equipped kitchen.
We all looked at the wheel nervously as Pete from Herbert Woods showed us all the facilities on the boat. I skimmed through the written folder of information and had a bit of an eek moment when it said all my children were capable of handling the boat.
Pete gave us clear instructions and a demonstration on how to handle the boat. Him Indoors took a little while to get used to it but my teenage son Luke took to it like a natural. He did most of the driving during the holiday.
How can I possibly get over the magic of boating on the Norfolk Broads?
1. I loved having some proper relaxation. How often do we get that as busy mums? I slept deeply and sunbathed enjoying my time away from responsibilities, world news and the Internet.
2. It was great to see so much nature from the rustling reeds to the beautiful water lillies. The Broads are a haven for bird watchers and we saw lots of butterflies too.
3. The boat speed was between 4 and 6 miles per hour. Over the years, I find car journeys make me anxious with speeding drivers and so much business. I much prefer messing about on the river at a gentle pace.
4. This holiday brought out the best in my family. We worked together really well as a team taking on the various tasks of driving, navigating and mooring between us. Actually that is not quite true because I did very little and let the family take charge.
5. Although the boat did have a cooker, we chose not to cook and took had snacks on the boat, a takeaway and a pub meal.
6. We had great party times on the boat playing board games and cards. There was a television but we all seemed more minded to have good old-fashioned fun away from modern technology. When the boys don’t miss their video games, you know something special is happening.
7. My favourite town was Wroxham. Regular readers know I like to rummage in charity shops and I had a very pleasant hour or two in Wroxham buying games for the boat and some new to me clothes.
8. There are lots of amazing attractions near the Broads. However on this occasion we found the boating provided all the entertainment we needed. It is really good fun to wave at or chat with other boaters. Swans and ducks were regular companions as we sailed along. How lovely not to be chained to work or school schedules. Getting away from it all is such a joy.
We were not ready to leave. We all felt sad but also very excited to have discovered a new activity that suits all the family.
I highly recommend boating in Norfolk for a family holiday. You can choose the size of boat to suit your individual circumstances and you don’t need any previous boating experience. It is great for children to get them away from screens and to give them time to stop and stare at nature and windmills. They learn so much too from driving a boat to the importance of health and safety.
We will be back to Visit Norfolk soon.
Tranquil Light 2 sleeps 6 +2.
Shortbreaks – Low season £509, plus Fuel depot £125, Damage Waiver £45
High price £1100, plus Fuel depot £125, Damage Waiver £45
Seven night breaks are
£728 off peak, plus Fuel depot £125, Damage Waiver £45
£1575 high season, plus Fuel depot £125, Damage Waiver £45
Day boats are available Monday through to Sunday, between the hours of 8.30am and 6.30pm, starting from £17 per hour.
How to Book
Address: Bridge Road, Potter Heigham, Great Yarmouth, NR29 5JF
Tel: 0800 144 4472
We were gifted a press trip to enable this review