What are my reasons to be cheerful this week? Am I walking on sunshine?
1. Nearly two months after moving, I have the upstairs of our new home sorted. Everything is unpacked and put away sensibly. I do need a bedside cabinet for my teen’s room and another chest of drawers for ours but we are pretty much there.
2. My teen son got the most amazing report from his new school. He is in the top sets for everything apart from German which is fair enough seeing as he has never done it before. He is keen to pursue German so we are going to have to see how we can find him some extra help with that as we did not study German ourselves. Particular comments were made about his great talent for mathematics, science, ICT and his fabulous questioning and challenging contributions to class discussions. Very importantly, he is making new friends too. The new school is far better than his last one and they are looking into his issues with handwriting (I have been trying to get this nailed for almost 10 years).
3. I am really enjoying my 8 year old’s son company at the moment. I had missed a television programme I wanted to see and he was able to tell me all about it in such great detail. He loves word play as I do so we connect on that level. He brings me flowers from the garden most days. Today he told me the best thing about my dress for BritMums Live was me! This boy has serious charisma and I am sure will move mountains as he grows up. He got a special award from school for good work in science this week.
4. My daughter is growing up fast and I sense my little girl is becoming a young lady and a feisty one at that. It cheers me up that as she breaks away from the apron strings she still loves to snuggle up with me.
5. The children are enjoying their outdoor swimming pool at school and miraculously, I am remembering to send them with the right kit. On the way home, we often stop at the park and they get great exercise and I can catch up with the newspaper or a book.
6. We had a fantastic weekend in the sunshine celebrating D Day on Southsea Common.
7. The World Cup has started, My fella hates football but I like an event so we are having a pizza party for the game tonight.
8. I am enjoying writing my Dad’s memoirs – give them a go – they are a great read.
9. It is BritMums Live next weekend – time to reflect on a bit of a challenging year and to see amazing women all in one venue. Hoping to dine with some lovely ladies too. I am hoping it cools down a bit or that the Brewery has amazing air conditioning.
10. I have a new smartphone because Him Indoors decided I am so worth it.
That’s all folks. See some of you very soon!