Create a healthy and filling lunch with this simple recipe for vegetarian uramaki sushi (inside out rolls). Perfect for people on the go, these delicious morsels can be rolled up and packed into a bento box for a sophisticated grown-up lunch. And what’s more, the recipe can be adapted to include any leftovers taking up space in the fridge!
Vegetable Sushi Bento (Uramaki)
Serves 4 (Makes 4 rolls)
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
300g Yutaka Premium Sushi Rice
60ml rice vinegar
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
2 sheets nori (dried seaweed sheets), cut in half
¼ cucumber, cut into thin sticks
¼ red pepper, cut into thin sticks
½ avocado, cut into strips
20g white roasted sesame seeds
20g black roasted sesame seeds
To serve with:
10g wasabi paste
60ml soy sauce
1. Wash the rice in a strainer under running water and leave to drain. Add the rice and 390ml of water in a heavy saucepan, place the lid on and bring it to the boil. Simmer for 10 mins, remove from the heat and leave for 10 mins to steam.
2. Make the sushi vinegar by mixing the rice vinegar, sugar and salt and pour over the rice, cutting the rice sideways gently so that the rice grains aren’t broken. Leave to cool down.
3. Cover a bamboo mat with cling film to stop the sushi rice sticking to the surface and place the nori along the edge of the mat nearest to you.
4. Wet your hand, take an apple sized handful of sushi rice on the nori, spread evenly until the nori is completely covered and press down firmly.
5. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds over the sushi rice, then turn the nori and rice over carefully so the nori is facing upwards and the rice is facing the mat.
6. Place three of your favourite fillings in a line, 2cm from the edge of the nori. Hold the bamboo mat and nori with rice and start rolling from the edge nearest the filling, pressing the rice down with the bamboo mat as you go.
7. Cut the rolls into 8 pieces for each roll and pack the sushi into a bento box.
– When cutting the roll into pieces, wipe off a knife with a wet towel. It helps to cut the roll cleanly!
Recipe created by Atsuko Ikeda, of Atsuko’s Cookery School in 2014
The Yutaka brand is the leading Japanese range in 16 countries across the globe. The exciting range includes sauces, sushi ingredients, soups, rice, noodles and “easy to use” meal kits – allowing the ardent foodie to create healthy, flavoursome and attractive Japanese cuisine at home.
For more information please visit www.yutaka.co/en/
Have you got a recipe for veggie sushi to share?