Angelina Jolie is a world famous actress who has a life very different from most mums. However, every mum can teach others a thing or two and she has certainly done that.
Two years ago she spoke about her choice to have a double mastectomy as she carried a mutation in the BRCA1 gene. It gave her an estimated 87 per cent risk of breast cancer and a 50 per cent risk of ovarian cancer. This month she wrote powerfully about the removal of her ovaries and fallopian tubes.
Angelina Jolie inspires us to take charge of our health and is a Striking Mum.
1. She speaks honestly and openly about issues in order to help others.
2. She describes genuine feelings which helps others to feel less isolated.
3. She is committed to doing all she can to see her children grow up and to meet her grandchildren.
4. She accepts that women have a right to do their own research and to decide on the best course of action for them.
5. She is an inspirational woman and yet like so many others that inspire, she does not big herself up.
6. She counts her blessings particularly her husband and children.
I was moved when I read Angelina’s comment:
“The beautiful thing about such moments in life is that there is so much clarity. You know what you live for and what matters.”
I remember finding a lump in my breast and knowing that all that mattered was living long enough to see my children were OK. It also reminded me that I had things I wanted to do so I got on with doing some of them.
When I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and told there was a possibility of reversing it, I changed my lifestyle because to do otherwise would not be fair to my children. A wake-up call to act on.
Mums can do so much to support other women. I was delighted to hear that one mum in particular had decided to go for a full health check after I spoke openly about my issues. How much bigger an impact someone like Angelina can have and how wonderful that she uses her profile to such good effect.
I leave you with this thought from Angelina:
“It is not easy to make these decisions. But it is possible to take control and tackle head-on any health issue. You can seek advice, learn about the options and make choices that are right for you. Knowledge is power.”
Angelina Jolie inspires us to take charge of our health so do something for yours today.
What will you do?