Highs And Lows Of 2017 And An Announcement!

Welcome to my Highs and Lows of 2017 tag for bloggers and anyone can use the questions as prompts for some thinking on the year 2017. It is good to look back and reflect on a whole year. It helps to put things in perspective. I will tag people to do a post using the same questions but anyone should feel free to join in so long as you link back to this post please. Just take the questions and answer them in a way that makes sense to you. Here is my 2017!

HIghs And Lows OF 2017

1. What was your happiest event?

Moving house to somewhere that suits us all so well. Finding a community that welcomes us with open arms.

2. What was the saddest thing to happen?

I lost my brother Michael in August. It seems so unfair that someone who was such a huge character and worked so hard all his life cannot enjoy a happy retirement.

3. What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead and did?

Drunken and debauched night proving there is life in the old girl yet.

4. Who let you down?

I am learning in life that if people let you down you have the wrong people in your life or you are expecting more than they, for whatever reason, can give. As a result I will be making better choices in 2018.

5. Who supported you?

My husband and children.

My brothers. It is lovely that my last contact with Michael was a supportive email.

Online friends most of whom I wish I actually saw in real life at all or more often. Special women who when I hit rocky times are there until whatever hour in the morning to give me emotional back-up.

New friends and an amazing community that I am so lucky to live in.

College and school friends/

Home educators who keep me on track when I wobble about our choice to home educate my younger children.

6. Tell us what you learned

That I am braver than I think and can make a dream a reality.

That people like me and quite a lot actually – all I ever needed to do was to be myself. It just took me a while to work that out.

That real love never dies..

That I can be a huge success at work – again just a matter of self-belief.

7. Tell us what made you laugh

Laughter is a huge part of our family dynamic. We do a lot of analyzing of current affairs and television shows complete with strong opinions, wit and voices.

We have had more laughter this year than in a long time.

8. Tell us the things that made you cry

Losing a college friend for a really stupid farcical reason based on nothing at all. Much missed R!

Grief for the loss of my brother.

9. Tell us three things your child or children did to make you feel proud.

My oldest son is easy to be proud of – handsome, intelligent, sensitive and caring. I am proud of his GCSE results gained in a year where he missed so much school due to ill health.

My daughter feeling more safe and experimenting with a little independence like walking away from us on her own and dealing with quite a challenging situation with aplomb. I love her focus, her creativity and her kick-ass attitude!

My youngest son takes everything in his stride. I admire his self-confidence, humour and passion for cookery. I also love that he has so much wisdom and makes people behave better including myself, my husband and his friends.

10. Tell us the things that made you proud of yourself.

Following up on a long-held dream and it working out well.

Having a higher bar in work situations.

Getting out and socializing more.

11. Tell us the challenges you overcame

I think home education is always challenging but I feel we have got more structured with it now and that suits us better. Having said that the children still have lots of time to play and to pursue their own passions.

Marriage and parenting are challenging but I am still here.

12. Tell us the things you would like to change about your life in 2018

To write fiction instead of just talking about it

To learn something new and perhaps do a course.

To continue and be even better at enjoying the present.

To continue to build on friendships old and new. To learn who is worth investing in and who is not.

To inject more fun into our home education efforts.

To remove one negative person and one negative organization from my life.

Over to you. Any blogger or reader can have a go at this one if they fancy reflecting back on the year. What were your highs and lows of 2017?

P.S. I have a little exciting announcement which has the potential to change your life for the better in 2018. Myself and the lovely Chloe from Indigo Wilderness are committed to positively improving our lives next year and encouraging other women to do the same. We are launching the Best Boot Forward campaign to help you take baby steps to what you want out of a brand New Year. That’s a little teaser – hoping you like the idea and all will be revealed about the details soon on our blogs.

How to take part in the tag and the rules.

Copy and paste the questions below and answer them on your blog linking back to this post please.

Rules

1 Thank the person who nominated you and link back to their blog and https://kateonthinice.com

2 Answer the questions

3 Tag to take part 5 or more bloggers asking them to take part and let them know on social media

4 Post the questions without your answers at the bottom of your post so that they are easy to copy and paste for the people you tag

1. What was your happiest event?
2. What was the saddest thing to happen?
3. What was the most unlikely thing to happen that actually went ahead and did?.
4. Who let you down?
5. Who supported you?
6. Tell us what you learned.
7. Tell us what made you laugh
8. Tell us the things that made you cry
9. Tell us three things your child or children did to make you feel proud. Please miss this question out if you are not a parent.
10. Tell us the things that made you proud of yourself.
11. Tell us the challenges you overcame
12. Tell us the things you would like to change about your life in 2018

To get this party started, I am tagging

www.themammafairy.com

Tammymum
My Random Musings

Mummascribbles
3 Little Buttons

1. Anne December 18, 2017 / 10:05 pm

I love looking back on the past year, the bad times are always there in the forefront of your mind, but then you can think up all the positives and see that life has not been all bad. I love the idea of your new project, I’ll look out for that.
    #TheMMLinky

2. michelle twin mum December 20, 2017 / 11:04 pm

I love this Kate, what a great reflection and your new campaign for 2018 sounds great too. Have a wonderful Christmas. Mich x

3. chickenruby December 21, 2017 / 8:44 am

thought i’d reply in the comments, as i find it hard tagging people.
    1. What was your happiest event?
    Winning a trip to Hong Kong for me and my husband
    2. What was the saddest thing to happen?
    My father dying suddenly in July
    Child 3 deciding he wanted to experience life abroad and within 6 weeks him and his girlfriend moved to Australia
    4. Who let you down?
    The NHS, failed to diagnose my pneumonia
    5. Who supported you?
    My husband and closest friends
    6. Tell us what you learned.
    That I can handle what life throws at me
    7. Tell us what made you laugh
    My mum, despite the sadness of my fathers death
    8. Tell us the things that made you cry
    My fathers death, child 3 emigrating and child 2 being deployed to the Middle East
    Child 2 getting engaged, Child 3 spreading his wings, Child 4 being deployed, Child 5 attending interviews after leaving school
    10. Tell us the things that made you proud of yourself.
    Dealing with my fathers death
    11. Tell us the challenges you overcame
    Living 3000 miles from home for 5 months, away from my husband
    12. Tell us the things you would like to change about your life in 2018
    Return to teaching.

#triumphanttales

4. JuggleMum, Nadine Hill December 22, 2017 / 9:43 am

A very thoughtful post Kate. I’m so glad that you have found a happy community and all things sound positive moving into 2018. Hope you and your family have a very merry christmas.

5. Alana - Burnished Chaos December 22, 2017 / 7:03 pm

What a great tag, great way of reflecting back in the year and giving yourself some focus for the upcoming one. Looking forward to hearing more about Best Boot Forward.
    Thank you for joining #FamilyFunLinky x

6. Lauren Scrapbookblog December 27, 2017 / 1:50 pm

I loved this tag post, I’m going to try and find time to do it! I didnt know you home schooled so that was interesting to read about. Im sorry you kost your brother too, how sad.
    Thank you for linking up with #ShareYourYear

7. Lauren Scrapbookblog December 27, 2017 / 1:50 pm

Thank you for linking up with #ShareYourYear 🙂

8. Katy Stevens December 30, 2017 / 11:02 am

It sounds like 2018 is going to be a great year for you. I often do things in baby steps too and then I make it where I want to be in the end! #ShareYourYear

9. Helen at Casa Costello December 30, 2017 / 11:58 am

I’m so sorry to read about your brother – must still be such a big loss especially at this time of year. Wishing you every success with Best Boot Forward in 2018. I look forward to learning more about it x

10. Rebecca Smith December 30, 2017 / 7:44 pm

So sorry for your loss, it isn’t easy when we lose someone so close to us. You’ve got so much to be proud of for this year, you’ve achieved plenty and I can’t wait to see what 2018 brings you

11. Kim Carberry December 30, 2017 / 9:01 pm

What a great way to recap the year…I think I might have to join in and use this. Hope you don’t mind x
    #ShareYourYear

12. Ellen January 1, 2018 / 1:13 am

Great way to honestly reflect back on the last year x

13. Amanda January 1, 2018 / 11:26 am

Oh Kate, how I have loved getting to know you properly over the past few months – it is an absolute pleasure to know you, and it fills me with joy to read this review of 2017 and see that you have found so much confidence throughout it!! I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your brother though 🙁 xx

#ShareYourYear

14. Sarah January 4, 2018 / 9:00 am

It sounds like you’ve had a bit of an up and down year but with lots of positives to take from it. I hope you have more of the same in 2018. #ShareYourYear

15. Jaki January 4, 2018 / 3:42 pm

Ooh, I need to do this? Is it too late? In my lazy week or so off I totally forgot! Thanks for sharing it with us at #TriumphantTales, we are back with a bang on Tuesday, hope to see you there! X