Starting to run as I put my Best Boot Forward

Starting to run became a reality today. After a visit to a jumble sale this morning, the children were doing their own thing and Himself was slumbering on the sofa. So having talked about possibly starting running this year to improve my physical and quite possibly my mental wellbeing too, I actually went out for a run this afternoon.

In the past I have fancied trying running. One barrier to this is that I was rubbish at P.E. lessons at school and picked on for being a slow runner by teachers as well as pupils. Another is that as I carry too much weight, I fear being made of when out and about jogging.

However, it is important to challenge self-imposed limitations whatever their roots. I have a private road here so can pretty much guarantee nobody will see me as I start my running journey.

I went out in a normal outfit because I don’t have any special running gear. It is freezing cold so I had to push myself out of the door. I bumped into a neighbour but I did not let that stop me. As soon as I was out of her view, I started to run. At first, I actually had to ask myself how to do it. I started tentatively and noticed how the world moves about more when you are running. It made me feel a bit dizzy at first but only for a few seconds until I got used to it. I kept going and found myself wanting to go a little faster. I got to the end of the road and then took a break. I felt mildly nauseous but again not too bad.

Should I walk home or run? After all, I am just starting to run!  I decided to keep running but found it harder now as my heart was racing. I took a couple of breaks on the way back but only for about a minute or so.

I came into the house and a half-awake husband asked what I had been doing. When I told him, I got the super high-praise of “Nice one””. He then went back to sleep so I went on social media to try and access some more positive support. Then I started this blog because I want to remember these challenging days so I can look back and enjoy them when I find running so much easier. Presumably my fitness levels will build up and it will get easier. I did quite enjoy it which surprised me. As with many things, I can do this one baby step at a time.

Have you got any tips for someone who is a newbie and just starting to run?

R2BC at Mummy from the Heart

School Runs and Shopping Trolleys
My Random Musings
Pink Pear Bear
Cuddle Fairy

1. Chloe @ Indigo Wilderness January 14, 2018 / 11:36 pm

Super duper! When I did my first one since the baby I was amazed I found a nice pace. The second one I did however was a massive stitch and major fatigue because I hadn’t properly eaten that day so I’d definitely recommend making sure you’re physically prepared and fuelled. I too was that child who was terrible at sports and last to be picked at school. Skinny and speccy didn’t bode well for me so I thought I was academic rather than athletic so who would have guessed I’d go on to love running as well as lifting weights at the gym. We can all surprise ourselves and I’m so pleased for you you’re giving it a try too!

2. Ojo Henley January 15, 2018 / 6:24 pm

Wow! Well done you! That is a huge step forward (pun intended). I hope you keep it up x

3. Have Kids Will Travel UK January 15, 2018 / 8:58 pm

Well done- the hardest thing is taking the first step! I downloaded the 0-5k app on my phone. It’s a great way to get into running as it allows you to run for a bit/walk for a bit. Each time you go out, the walking gets less and the running gets more but you’re more used to it and before you know it, you’re a runner! Good luck #bigpinklink

4. Cheshire SEN tutor January 16, 2018 / 12:30 pm

Well done with the running, that’s great. So difficult to get the initial motivation- very impressed #triumphanttales

5. Jo - Cup of Toast January 17, 2018 / 12:12 pm

Excellent, well done you! I followed the Couch to 5K plan with a local running group and loved it. It was very gentle and definitely got me back into running after having my children. Running with others helps to, or listening to music. Makes the distance slip away quickly! #BloggerClubUK

6. Jaki January 18, 2018 / 9:34 pm

Good for you! I started to run three years ago. I too was rubbish at PE at school. I was always at the back of the pack when running with friends, but with running for yourself, it doesn’t matter how fast you go, the fact that you are going at all is all that matters. I hope you enjoy it. #TriumphantTales

7. oftencalledcathy January 19, 2018 / 8:07 am

I suppose my main advice would be to keep going – you may hit a plateau when you don’t seem to improve for a while, but don’t be disheartened. You will need proper running shoes and go to a specialist shop to get properly fitted and I recommend a proper sports bra too. Finding a local running group will also help. And well done!

8. michelle twin mum January 19, 2018 / 12:39 pm

Download the free Coach to 5K app for your phone, this was amazing when I started running as it helps you to do it safely. All the best, Mich x

9. Debbie January 19, 2018 / 3:59 pm

Hi Kate, excellent! I’m sending a super high five too! That first run is the hardest. I remember when I first started I considered myself as reasonably fit, but could still only manage a minute run a minute walk, and the burning sensation in my lungs killed! Sped and distance doesn’t matter, doing it is what counts.

Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

10. Alana - Burnished Chaos January 20, 2018 / 7:12 am

Wow, well done! Starting and getting out the front the door is always the hardest part. I haven’t done any running for years (and when I did I wasn’t very good at it) but am planning to start again in the next week or two, I just need to get a pair of trainers first as my old ones are full of holes. There’s also a few inches of snow and ice out there that doesn’t seem to want to shift. In the meantime I have just taken up Yoga and I’m really enjoying that. Good luck with the running, you’ll have to keep us updated.
    Thank you for joining #FamilyFunLinky x

11. Kel @ School Runs & Shopping Trolleys January 20, 2018 / 11:41 am

Well done you! I keep telling myself “I can’t run because…. (lists various excuses)” and, to be fair, I’m not sure my joints would like it. So I admire anyone like you who can just do it! Thanks for being inspirational. #TheMMLinky

12. Steph Curtis January 20, 2018 / 3:49 pm

Good luck with your running! I did a little bit once but decided it definitely wasn’t for me… 🙂 thanks for joining in with #TheMMLinky

13. Ali Duke January 20, 2018 / 7:54 pm

Good for you! Running is not really my thing, I love the gym. I felt really awkward the first time I went, but now I am pretty confident in there.

14. Laura Dove January 21, 2018 / 3:34 pm

Good for you! I can’t run due to heath issues but I really admire those who do! Thank you for joining us at #bigpinklink

15. Carol Cameleon January 22, 2018 / 8:35 pm

Well done you! I did couch to 5 k (the app) a few years ago and managed Race for Life. Due to the other runners it was more of a light job to be honest but I still did it! Would recommend an app to keep you going. Nowadays due to time, brisk dog walks are my bag. Thanks so much for linking up to #HighlightsofHappy

16. becky @lakessinglemum January 25, 2018 / 6:56 pm

I built up slowly with the couch to 5k podcast so you have run/walk intervals and gradually build up to running for 30 minutes non stop! Slow and steady is the way to go.