Stepping out with Best Boot Forward

Stepping out can be a challenge at this time of year when it is cold and skies can be dark. You might even have rain and snow. However, as part of the Best Boot Forward initiative, Chloe from Indigo Wilderness is encouraging us to seize the day and get out there.

Stepping Out

She has set some questions to reflect on and here are my answers.

1. I am walking more. Now that I have a private road I could run on, I am trying to work up the motivation to do that with my new funky trainers. I keep talking myself out of it and that needs to change. How often we do this – when a label has not fit before, we assume it never can. Who says I can’t be a runner? Only me and negative self-talk. For this week, I celebrate walking regularly in the countryside and having the odd unexpected jog when the dogs escaped the garden.

2. On the physical health front, I have also jumped on my weighing scales and faced the truth about my weight. At the weekend, I will stock up on healthier food. I watched Lisa Riley talking about her amazing weight loss and she emphasized how not having the unhealthy stuff in the home helps so much. I also will start listening to my Slimpod again as that worked so well when I lost so much weight most of which I kept off.

3. My favourite place to spend outdoors at the moment is right on my doorstep. Chloe is so right when she says how getting outdoors is so very good for your mental and emotional wellbeing. I tend to wait until my husband or children can come out with me. Today, I just went out and just breathed in the joy of blue skies and nature. So very good for the soul. I have also resolved to start using nature lessons as part of our home education journey so watch this space!

Are you stepping out? That might be into the great outdoors or outside a self-imposed comfort zone. Join the Best Boot Forward revolution and access so much support from like-minded women changing their lives one baby step at a time. You do not have to be a blogger to take part in Best Boot Forward – you can find us on Facebook and Instagram too!

P.S. As I finished this post the telly started talking about a woman experiencing depression who says running saved her life. Now there is food for thought!

”Best

1. Chloe @ Indigo Wilderness January 11, 2018 / 6:47 pm

Thank you for linking up so quickly! Glad to hear you have the space to get out, sometimes doing it on your own can be even better (careful now!). Thank you for sharing on insta too, it looks lovely. I am craving some solitude at the moment and hope to make time for it tomorrow. I think it’s a real credit to you that you’ve managed to keep the weight off, an achievement in itself and sets you up perfectly to begin on your weight loss journey again when you’re ready. As for running, anyone can run and everyone has different paces. I was astonished to find out I actually liked running as I’ve never been good at physical activities. My mum has also started running, she has an app for couch to 5k which is a super way to start!

2. Debbie January 12, 2018 / 4:35 am

Hi Kate, I know I always feel better after getting outside, even when the weather is miserable, in fact when the weather is miserable and I push myself to get out I usually end up coming home buzzing because it felt sooooo good. I didn’t start running until I was 38 and really struggled with seeing myself as a runner, as in reality, I am more of a plodder. One quote that made me see things differently was: “I run therefore I am a runner”, speed or distance doesn’t come into it. Recently I’ve been changing my exercise routine, cutting back on running as I have started to feel my hips , and it does definitely make a difference to my mood. I’m in the process of trying to find the right balance for me…. Walking helped my Dad take control of his depression and I know of a lady who did the same, so there must be something in it… Today, when you tie your trainers and head out for your walk, have a little jog and you’ll head home a runner!

Thank you for linking up with the #MMBC.

xx

3. Lauren @ Inspire Create Educate January 12, 2018 / 11:36 am

You don’t have to start by running, just time yourself walking the route and aim to beat that time every time you do that route. Soon you’ll be power walking, then jogging in spurts, then jogging the whole route, sprinting in spurts etc.

You can do it!

4. Rebecca Smith January 12, 2018 / 8:26 pm

I’m hoping to get back into walking again next week – was meant to start tonight but I’ve hurt my back 🙁 Good luck with the weight loss and exercise 🙂

5. Jayne @ Sticky Mud and Belly Laughs January 13, 2018 / 2:28 pm

You go girl! There is something very healing about the great outdoors. I am more of a walker myself though. But who knows? After losing some of this unwanted weight, I might (just might) give it a go! I will most probably keel over afterwards but hey, you have got to give it a try 🙂 Looking forward to reading about your nature lessons too! A lot of our home ed includes nature and outdoor fun x

Thanks so much for sharing with #MMBC. Have a great weekend x

6. Hazel Newhouse January 15, 2018 / 2:00 pm

I think lessons in nature are so so so important for children. My children go to a forest school and spend most of their days outside. I would rather them be muddy everyday then being glued to an iPad. Good luck on your new running journey. I hope you manage to talk yourself INTO it. I’m not a runner, but I often wish I could just go for a XC run in peace and quiet. I am very self conscious and the 1/2 mile run just to the farm tracks makes me nervous!

7. chickenruby January 16, 2018 / 4:08 pm

I’ve been walking 3 times a day with the dog, since moving house, we now have a really small garden and there’s nowhere for him to run around, plus while the fence is being built, i have to take him out during the day for the toilet as the fence builders are petrified of the dog #bestbootforward