It is Freshers’ Week so it made me think about my first week at university and the things I did during Freshers Week.
1. I cried when my parents left me there.
2. I bumped into a girl literally as we both tried to get to the loss. She is my friend 24 years later.
3. I met a girl from Glasgow and thought she was from overseas as I could not tell a word she was saying. We were friends for many years.
4. I ate spinach and walnut soup – Yuck!
5. I worried that I was the only Northern and working-class person in the place.
6. I discovered a whole new language – bop, bedder, sweaty bop, pigeonhole, supervision etc
7. I got locked in the loo during the Freshers’ Dinner. I bumped into another girl on coming out and we are still friends.
8. I attended the Freshers’ Fair but did not have the confidence to join any societies there.
9. I had a really good buffet lunch at the Christian Union event.
10. I met a girl whose relation was a really famous artist.
11. I felt inadequate as everyone went on about their exciting years off in Peru etc.
12. I developped my first college crush.
13. I visited my first law library.
14. I shopped at the largest bookshop I had every seen.
15. I discovered Nadia’s patisserie.
16. I met a rotten Roman Law teacher.
17. I got hit on the head with a ruler when I fell asleep in a lecture.
18. I saw the Madonna film Desperately Seeking Susan.
19. I went to a pub with people I would never socialise with again.
20. I decided that this was possibly the best move I was every going to make and it was!