What are the best bits of BritMums Live?
Yesterday I told you all the worst bits of my BritMums Live weekend so here goes with the really good stuff in no particular order.
1. I got a night away with Him Indoors whilst the little darlings went to stay with my step-daughter. So whilst other bloggers were out to dinner, I was making the most of the hotel bedroom and remembering why we got together in the first place and hoping the walls were thick.
2. I got to meet Ruby Wax and she signed my book and spoke my name. Be still my beating heart. How wonderful of BritMums to put Ruby and the issues of mental health right up there at the start of the event. A brave decision and one I applaud.
3. I started to see that there are many opportunities in blogging that I may not have quite understood before. The future starts here and I think it may turn out to be rather marvellous. I learned a lot from the panel session on the first day.
4. I worked out that I want to start making proper strides in my writing. Attending the Getting Published and E-Book sessions proved fruitful.
5. I got ever so slightly squiffy at the Brilliance in Blogging Party and met and fell in love with that Hayley one before she became world famous with her keynote the next day. I am putting her autograph on ebay as we speak.
6. I did not win a Brilliance in Blogging Award which I was so pleased about as did not feel I deserved to do so having seen the other finalists. Plus I would have tripped up the stairs in my drunken state and the pink Crocs wellies I had won.
7. I saw some of my fave bloggers and Penny Alexander and Mummy Whisperer in particular get their awards and was very pleased for them, huge warm feelings of thrilledness.
8. I discovered Katy Hill and found her so funny, engaging and true. She tells it like it is and I love anyone who does that particularly about the challenges of parenting.
9. I started to understand more about social media and search engine optimisation.
10. I heard the wonderful Sarah Brown and she changed my life right there and then.
11. Despite myself, I moderated the Blogging for the Greater Good session with what appears to be quite a degree of success. Working with the lovely Michelle from BritMums made it that much easier.
12. I spent a lot of time over lunch with Polly Gowers from Give As You Live. She speaks so much sense and I have that chat as one of my absolute highlights of the conference.
13. The food was amazing and sustaining as the whole event really too it out of you in terms of over-excitement, nerves and the rest.
14. I joined Ellen Arnison and Mammasaurus for the Sod the Stats! Blogging for Happiness session. Having survived the first speaking engagement in the morning, I felt much more chilled. I managed to be me warts and all. Whether that was a good or bad thing is for others to decide.
15. Although I had plenty o f wobbly moments, I pushed through them and spoke to people and did not sit shyly at the back in workshop sessions. I also remembered that other folks would be shy too and when I spotted people who looked that way went up and spoke to them.
16. I laughed and cried in the blogger keynote sessions with several stories resonating deeply with me particularly Karin’s about post-natal depression and Ellen’s about not slating ourselves for being bad mums when actually we do out best.
17. Someone said to me “Oh, you are one of them, aren’t you?” Turned out they meant I was part of the BritMums team. I am never quite sure how I managed to become part of that wonderful team but am really glad I did. Susanna and her lovely colleagues have truly changed my life for the better and I thank them for that.
18. I met some of my blogging heros but also learned that there are a lot more out there to get to know better.
19. I felt like a somebody rather than a nobody. It is so easy to lose sight of yourself as a mum.
20. I hugged. Yes, me, the most hung-up person in the world found herself fuelled by wine throwing herself on unsuspecting bloggers. What can I say? It was emotional.
What do you hope are you best bits of BritMums Live 2017?