21 essential resolutions for new mums come to you from a less than perfect mum who learned some of these lessons the hard way.
Take is as it comes
1. I will not have any set ideas about how my parenting journey will turn out
2. I will follow my instincts
3. I will ask for support clearly as soon as I need it
4. I will ensure I build in time for myself and my partner
5. I will say when people cross my boundaries telling me what to do with my child
Ask for and offer support
6. I will recognise that most mums struggle in some way and reach out to them
7. I will carve out quality one-on-one time with my other child/ren
8. I will celebrate my imperfections as they show I am human
9. I will know that if I am doing my best I am not a bad mum
10. I will recognise that the most challenging times will pass
It’s a balancing act
11. I will keep a balance between what is private and what is to be shared.
12. I will focus on enjoying memories not just recording them
13. I will recognise that parenting like life is a series of ups and downs
14. I will not assume that the mum who looks perfect actually is
15. I will know that money spent and happy moments do not necessarily mean the same thing
Celebrate your individuality
16. I will speak at to someone at the nursery/school gates even if I think it will kill me – it rarely does!
17. I will not expect my children to perform on demand
18. I will not apologise for my child being an individual
19. I will tap into online and offline support networks
20. I will never beat myself up or write myself off
21. I will know that I am blessed to be a mum even in the shitty moments and there will be plenty of those!
Suggestions for resolutions for new mums
What would you add to my list of essential resolutions for new mums at the embark on the parenting ride?