Here’s a Festive Trifle recipe to inspire you this Christmas. Trifle always featured heavily in our family celebrations so I am delighted to share this one with you today.
Preparation timing and quantities
Serves 10-15 in a 30cm x 30cm trifle bowl
Preparation time: 45minutes
Ingredients for festive trifle recipe
• 1 x 415g can Del Monte® Fruit Cocktail in Juice (well drained)
• 1 x 415g can Del Monte® Peach Slices in Juice (well drained)
• Elderflower liqueur
• Handful of fresh cherries (stalks on)
• 100g dark chocolate, chopped
• Edible gold dust / desiccated coconut / hundreds and thousands
• Pink food colouring or 2tsp crushed, freeze dried raspberries (optional)
• Madeira Cake (shop bought 2-3 loaves or homemade)
• Custard (shop bought 1 x 400g can or homemade)
• 50g unsalted butter, softened
• 150g icing sugar, sifted
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 35ml double cream
• Berries & edible flowers for decoration
1. Soak the Madeira cake (see below for recipe) by pricking the surface with a fork and gently drizzling with liqueur.
2. Prepare cherries for decoration by melting the chocolate in a bain-marie (gently melt 2/3 of the chocolate in a metal or glass bowl, set over an inch of simmering water in a saucepan. When almost completely melted, remove from the heat and add the remaining chocolate, stirring until completely melted.) Remove from heat and gently dip your cherries in the chocolate to coat completely.
3. Once set, brush the cherries with your edible gold dust until they shine. If using coconut or hundreds & thousands instead of gold dust, dip into your chosen decoration whilst the chocolate is still wet.
4. Add colouring or freeze dried raspberries to shop bought or homemade custard (see below for recipe).
5. Make your buttercream by beating together butter, sugar, vanilla, food colouring/freeze-dried raspberries and cream.
6. Now it’s time to assemble your trifle! Gently place the first layer of soaked Madeira cake into the base of a 30cm x 30cm trifle bowl.
7. Top the cake with a layer of Del Monte® Peach Slices making sure they are placed up to the edge of the sponge.
8. Then add a layer of pink custard and another layer of cake.
9. Top this with a layer of Del Monte® Fruit Cocktail making sure the fruits are placed up to the edge of the sponge.
10. Then add a layer of pink custard and another layer of cake.
11. Repeat this pattern as many times as your bowl allows, ensuring you finish with a final layer of Madeira cake.
12. Using a piping bag, pipe the top layer with the buttercream with extra dabs piped in a circle around the edge of the trifle.
13. Place your decorated cherries where you have piped your dabs.
14. Now decorate with fresh berries and edible flowers, arranged in a suitably celebratory design!
This festive trifle recipe has been created by London bakery owner, Lily Vanilli, to celebrate Del Monte’s 125th Anniversary. For more recipe inspiration, please visit www.delmonteeurope.com.