Do you know how to give up your bad habits? We all have them. Whether that’s watching too much tv, eating unhealthy food, smoking cigarettes, or spending too much money. We get into a cycle that is hard to break, but break it we must. Our lives will suffer if we don’t. In this article, we are going to look at some of the common bad habits we fall into, with some healthy alternatives to replace those things that are damaging us. We hope our suggestions help you.
Bad Habit #1: Smoking cigarettes
You don’t need us to tell you that smoking is bad for you. There is the risk of cancer and respiratory diseases. There are health risks to those around you as they inhale your smoke. Your skin will suffer, your breath will smell, and you will face social isolation from those who have long since given up this bad habit.
- Consider vaping, the healthier alternative to nicotine. Thousands of people have made the leap, so there is a high success rate. You can buy vape kits and e-liquid from Vapeshop, as well as on your local high street.
- Practice meditation. Smoking is often attributed to stress and anxiety; the cigarette acting as a temporary relief for frayed nerves. Rather than reach for that cigarette, try some quick meditation techniques to steady your nerves and focus your willpower.
Bad Habit #2: Eating unhealthy food
Junk food isn’t good for us, but for many of us, these foods are often the first thing we reach for when we can’t be bothered/don’t have time to cook something healthy. We are putting our lives at risk, so alternatives need to be found.
- Fill your cupboards with healthy foods and snacks, reducing the temptation to reach for that chocolate bar or bacon sandwich. We appreciate a Mars Bar can often be the more appealing choice when you’re snacking, but there are healthier alternatives to satisfy your craving
- Grow your own food, eliminating the time you spend in the supermarket mulling over the unhealthier choices. There are other benefits to growing your own food, including the incentive to eat more fruit and vegetables as you have had a hand in nurturing them yourself. Now there is just one tip on how to give up bad habits that will work wonders.
Bad Habit #3: Watching too much tv
Okay, so there are loads of things to watch on the box these days, so this is one bad habit that is easy to fall into. Sitting on the sofa for hours won’t give us square eyes (that was an old wives tale), but there are other ways you are hurting your health if you are binge watching everything in sight.
- Make a tv planner. Using your tv guide, make a note of the tv shows you really want to watch, rather than sitting down in front of the tv for hours channel surfing until something takes your interest. Then set your recorder to record the must-see programmes, sitting down to watch them and only them when you want your tv fix.
- Do something else. Okay, so this is a bit vague, but our point is this. Rather than coming home and flopping in front of the tv, do something else with your time. Read a book, walk the dog, play with the kids, do some exercise, take up a craft hobby…anything to fill in your time that doesn’t involve your sweaty palms clutching a remote control.
Bad habits can rule our lives and ultimately hurt us. While we haven’t covered all bases, we hope our suggestions have been somewhat helpful to you. If you have experience of these or other bad habits and have found ways to overcome them, please share your tips with us. We can all benefit from each others advice.
Do you have tips on how to give up bad habits to share with my readers?