What are the benefits of portable generators?
Power cuts are common even in the most developed countries. The reasons for outages are different in different countries, some are due to environmental factors like storms, hurricanes, etc. while for some countries it is due to lack of enough power generation capability. Irrespective of the reason, having a power backup like a portable generator is essential, as it can power up all the necessary appliances and keeps your home running without any glitches. Most homeowners consider generators as an unnecessary investment but it is not so. Listed below are some of the benefits of having a portable generator at home.
Benefits of portable generators
Gives you power when most needed: People living in areas that are susceptible to storms are used to power outages that last for weeks. When the power goes out in such situations the entire household is in a state of disarray as there is no light, no way to cook food, prevent food from getting spoiled or even get clean drinking water. There is a huge growth of portable generators in the market and the reason behind it is, they can help run household appliances during emergency situations. It is not just homes even small businesses can profit from these as it saves you money and also improves the quality of your service as you don’t have to shut your business due to power cuts.
One of the benefits of portable generators is that they start up immediately: When the power goes out due to a storm or due to power company outage the portable generator can be started up immediately. If you think you might need a backup power source, Karen Lao from Kruger Power (https://krugerpower.com.au/) says that choosing the right generator will give you the peace of mind you need. Electricity is essential to run almost every appliance in a home and moreover without power the safety and security systems are not working and so are the other home appliances which can affect the safety and security of the family. When there is a generator all the safety and security systems and other useful devices are active in no time and that ensures the well being of your family.
They are mobile: As the name itself indicates these generators are portable, unlike a standby generator that is permanently installed. These can be moved to different areas of your house without being fixed to a single place. They can be used in the garden or can act as an electrical source for power tools that are used in welding, carpentry, etc. This backup power source is useful not only during the storms but it also offers so much flexibility because it can be moved to even remote places. For example, they can also be used in camping sites or used in your caravan and is perfect for camping and caravan enthusiasts.
Easy to use: Portable generators are easy to use and do not need technical skills to start it. The only thing needed is to read the manual and follow the instructions for operating the device. The fuel that is used to power the generator is easy to fill and refill and one just needs to check it regularly to see if the fuel levels are low so as to refill it. That will ensure that the backup source runs till the utility company restores power.
It is safe to use: Many people are concerned about the safety of their home and their loved ones as it as a device that produces electricity. The portable power generators that are manufactured these days have a lot of safety features that ensures that there is absolutely no risk of damage to the appliances or injuries. They come with circuit breakers that prevent overloads and also effective mechanisms for voltage regulation. There are other features like low-oil shutoff where the engine stops when the fuel is low so that the motor is protected. The generators also have spark protectors so there is no risk of fire hazards.
How does a portable power generator work?
Portable power generators run on fuel like gasoline or propane. It consists of
- Power generator head
- Internal combustion engine
- Fuel tanksThe generator head is the component that produces electricity to the power outlets. The generator head gets its power from the engine which runs on fuel like diesel, propane or natural gas. The engine provides mechanical energy through a shaft that powers the generator head. The speed of the shaft is maintained with the help of a regulator. The power is made available through the outlets of the portable generator and can be used by plugging the cord of your appliance. There are various outlets with different prong holes. Generally, the three-pronged outlet gives 15 to 20 amps of power.Safety and maintenance of portable generators
- To get the best out of the portable generators, it is essential to maintain it properly. Listed below are a few tips
- Storage: Clean the unit after each usage, and to store it for short-term use search for an apt spot outside the building or in your garage so that you can get to it quickly when needed. If you don’t plan to use it for quite some time, fill the fuel tank completely and also add a fuel stabilizer so that the gas does not go bad. Else empty the fuel tank.
- A regular check of the replaceable parts: Engine oil levels need to be checked so that the engine runs smoothly. Also, check the air and fuel filter, spark plug and other replaceable parts regularly as per the manual.
- Check batteries: If your generator has an electric start charge it fully before storing or invest in a trickle charger so that it is ready when you need it. A portable generator offers a lot of benefits and is a great asset to have especially if the area you live in is prone to power outages. It is not only useful for providing power during emergencies but also a great companion to have when you are camping. They are convenient, powerful, efficient and easy to use if they are properly maintained.
Can you think of more benefits of portable generators?