Mental health is not a joke. While it might be something that we can laugh about when we’re with our friends, the reality is that our mental health comes with us wherever we go, whenever we’re there.
If we struggle with mental health problems like anxiety or depression, they’re going to have an impact on the quality of our lives – whether or not we’re willing to acknowledge them. This means that the best course of action is to take the time to acknowledge these mental health issues, because if you don’t, they’re still going to wreak havoc.
Why is it so Important for Women to Check Their Mental Health?
Women have it pretty tough in our society. They have a lot of roles that they often fill at the same time: giving care to loved ones, taking care of kids, going to work, attending school, being a good friend, sister, or in-law, or trying to take care of the house.
This is such a huge responsibility that a lot of women neglect to actually take care of themselves. It can be so easy for us to get swept away in taking care of those that we care about that we forget about our own needs.
Unfortunately, this can be very demanding and can lead to issues with mental health. In fact, there is a body of evidence that suggests that women are two times more likely to develop some of the most commonly seen mental health problems, like anxiety. Furthermore, women are generally more likely to carry the burden of trauma – particularly sexual trauma – which can lead to the development of mental health problems like PTSD.
All of these issues can lead to immense difficulty in a woman’s life.
• It can be harder for them to take care of children or maintain the house
• They may lose sight of their goals at school or work
• They may neglect to take care of themselves
All of these potential problems indicate that it’s very important for ladies to make sure that they’re taking care of their mental health.
What’s the Best Way to Manage Mental Health?
Now that you know how important it is to take care of your mental health, you’ll probably want to learn some of the best ways in which you can go about doing that.
• Therapy. This is the most common and most effective way of managing mental health. Therapy has been hugely popular for hundreds of years and can help you manage all sorts of mental health problems, ranging from the most mild anxiety to the most serious form of depression. Note that this doesn’t just mean seeking out the help of a professional. Self-therapy may not be as effective as speaking with a licensed practitioner; however it has been said that it can be a huge help to many people.
o In-office therapy is the traditional variety, in which you work face-to-face with a therapist in their office.
o Telehealth counseling, also referred to as online therapy, is a form of therapy that can be accessed with an internet connection. While considered to be new, there are already many high-profile companies who offer this.
• Be open and honest, not just with others but with yourself. There are a lot of reasons why being honest in general is beneficial to you. If you feel something, figure out what the feeling is and how it’s affecting you. Don’t be afraid to deal with the nitty gritty feelings – these are the ones that are most important to deal with!
• Stay active. Exercise is a great way to produce the hormones needed to stay happy and healthy.
If you follow a healthy lifestyle, eat well, and check up every once in a while with a therapist, you should have no problem maintaining your mental health.