Moving home tips are on my mind after our recent house move. Moving home can be a huge source of stress and a little thinking of things in advance along with some home comforts when you arrive can make all the difference.
Moving home tips
1. Ensure you have changed your address with all the important people like the bank, doctor, schools, employers and so on. Notify the Royal Mail to set up a mail redirection service to ensure all correspondence arrives at your new home.
2. Place all important documents in a safe place that is easily accessible on arrival at your new home.
3. Colour-code or label which boxes and bits of furniture go in which room at your new place. It cuts down the time spent unpacking considerably.
4. Contact all utility and other suppliers and pay off any outstanding bills.
5. Prepare a moving day kit. The contents will vary but might mean ensuring you have access to a first aid kit, comfy bedding and the ability to eat and drink. If you have children, making sure they can be entertained easily will also reduce stress significantly.
6. If you need the help, look at hiring professional removal firms. Different firms will offer different services; for example, some firms may be specialists at moving furniture, whereas other companies like Cars Relo specialise in vehicle relocation. Make sure you look for the right service that meets your needs.
7. Tap into any support you have available to help with children and pets. People are not always quick to offer but that does not mean they would not help if you asked them.
8. Check out where things are in your new area such as schools, doctors, town hall and churches.
9. Have a deadline in mind for when you will stop working and plan a treat whether a movie, a meal out, a takeaway or something that will signify the first part of the move is complete.
10. Invest in some items that will turn the new house into a home.
11. Ensure your home is kept safe. Check out Smarthome Panasonic a modern wireless home security system that monitors and protects your property in minutes. Whether you want to keep an eye on your house while you are away, or simply switch your appliances on and off, with the Smart Home you can do so from the comfort and convenience of your phone or tablet. It also notifies you as soon as a window or door is opened, giving you ultimate peace of mind.
12. Remember to enjoy your new home and take your time – everything does not need to be unpacked immediately.
What are your moving home tips?